Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 26, 2007

DAY 1 FRIDAY 060707

DAY 1
Fri 06/07/07
MIRPUR-ISLAMABAD-PESHAWAR-TORKHEM
Introduction:
I am finally ready to undertake a project that I’ve been keen to start since January 2006. I’ve prepared myself as well as what has been practical within the limited budget that I have (At this stage, 21,000 PK Rupees to be reasonably precise). I have worked hard to attract funding/advertising revenue from commercial sponsors but nothing concrete has emerged thus far. I urge readers to forgive any rustiness that may transpire from what I write as it’s been over two years since I’ve written regularly. However, I do aim to make my writing and other material (images, audio and video) as interesting, thought-provoking, informative and inoffensive as possible. I wish myself good luck and here goes.
1000hrs:
The final leg of my preparation took me to Mirpur (Pakistan-administered Kashmir) last night as that is where I am depositing my car for safe-keeping (I certainly hope so too). It isn’t before 1000am that I reach Mirpur’s Public Transport Station (Adda) in Nangi and I’m anxious to set-off, desperate to reach Torkhem (on the Afghan-Pak border) by nightfall.
1300hrs:
I reach Islamabad in good time for Jumaa prayers and with enough time to pick up my bicycle from the hotel that had been extremely gracious in looking after it for the past week, while I’ve ran around preparing for this arduous event.
1400hrs:
After a final check from my bicycle mechanic, I set off from G7 (Sitara Market) for the reasonably short ride to G9 (Karachi Company) in search of my mode of transport that will take me to Peshawar.
1530hrs:
I sense a weary and distinct reluctance on the part of the Toyota Coaster to transport my bicycle. However, after some haggling and a promise to pay fifty rupees extra for the trouble (It must be the heat, I reasoned to myself), I am soon lapping up air-conditioned bliss along the Islamabad-Peshawar motorway. I do try and enjoy it while I can as the thought of riding my bicycle accompanied by sixty kilos of luggage, up the Khyber Pass with the midday sun looming, is enough to test the will of the strongest amongst us.
1830hrs:
I’m on target to reach Torkhem tonight so long as I can convince the taxi driver that my bicycle will fit, or rather that half of it will, while the other half can be tightened securely with the car’s boot. I also take the risk of leaving my bicycle et al with him while I dash to the nearest mosque to offer my Asr prayers with only his ID card as my guarantee of nothing untoward.
As we travel along the Peshawar-Torkhem Highway, the driver sings the praises of the Pathan spirit of faith, trustworthiness and unflinching respect for the guest. Taking my current experience into account, I nod vigorously and affirmatively.
2030hrs:
The drive from Peshawar isn’t half as far as I thought it would be (a mere 45km in all) and our journey is spent discussing my bicycle ride with the driver doubling up as a translator for the three Afghani passengers at the back going to visit their homeland. Sustained peace between India and Pakistan would provide a desperately needed boost to both countries’ economies, with the general public reaping the dividends, was our unanimous conclusion. They praise me vociferously on my intended effort and pledge to implore Allah’s help for success. I thank them for their generous words as we part company.
2130hrs:
People in Torkhem are extremely keen to know where I am from and what I am aiming to do. When I tell them I am from Kashmir, there is an immediate affection resonating from their words and this adds to my conviction that what I am aiming to do is within reach. The night isn’t so pleasant, the thoughts that are racing through my mind accompanied by the seemingly limitless array of insects feasting on me is more than enough to keep me awake till dawn.

No comments: